Our Kickass Boomer of the Day is 50’s and 60’s teen idol, Bobby Rydell. He is a singer, drummer, actor, author, and entertainer hailing from South Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. If his name sounds familiar, it’s because you’ve probably watched him before, Boomer Nation. He appeared in 1963 with Ann-Margret in the classic, “Bye Bye Birdie.”
Bobby has continued to inspire boomers with his performances, as well as his story, which he published in his book, Bobby Rydell: Teen Idol On The Rocks: A Tale of Second Chances. We talked about the second chances he got in love and in life and how he’s making the most out of his time.
Join me in this episode and learn why Bobby is a Kickass Boomer!
[00:01 – 05:48] Opening Segment
- I introduce and welcome Bobby Rydell
- “You can’t take South Philadelphia out of the kid”
- The role of his father in his success
[05:49 – 18:24] Saying Hello to “Bye Bye Birdie”
- Bobby recalls how he learned drumming at 5 years old
- Listen to Bobby on how he started his recording career
- How he found himself in the classic movie, “Bye Bye Birdie”
[18:25 – 30:48] Nurturing Your Craft
- Don’t miss Bobby’s reminder in improving your craft
- Why his mid-80’s show still runs today
- Bobby talks about a few persons who have left an impact to him
[30:49 – 43:00] Bouncing Back From Life’s Challenges
- The thing Bobby is so proud of as an entertainer
- What’s inside his autobiography?
- About his late wife
- His liver and kidney transplant
[43:01 – 54:59] Having Lifelong Friends
- How Bobby met his second wife
- The power of having lifelong friends
- Listen to Bobby’s 15,000-dollar story!
[55:00 – 56:23] Closing Segment
- How can the Boomer Nation connect with you?
- Links below
- Final words
“…you have your highs, your lows, your peaks, your valleys, your ups, your downs…you just gotta keep on doing what you’re doing to nurture your craft.” – Bobby Rydell
“I always have time for everybody.” – Bobby Rydell
- Bobby’s autobiography: Bobby Rydell: Teen Idol On The Rocks: A Tale of Second Chances
- Watch out for Bobby’s tour dates here
- Buy his merchandise here
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to book Bobby for a performance
- Email email@example.com to invite Bobby for a speaking engagement or special event
- Book: #20: Growing Older with Enthusiasm = Rejuvenaging with Dr. Ron Kaiser
- Check out this other talented Italian guy!
BEE BOLD, NOT OLD.
LEAVE A REVIEW and join me on my journey to become and stay a Kickass Boomer!