Our Kickass Boomer of the Day is Douglas Hughes, a retired postal worker and political activist famously known for flying a 250-pound ultralight gyrocopter unauthorized to deliver 535 letters to each member of the Congress. Landing on the west lawn of the US Capitol Building in 2015, he served four months in prison and lost his job afterwards. Why he had no regrets for what he had done is something that Doug proudly shares to people in his activist work, and he is kind to drop by our podcast to talk about it and more.
Join me in this episode and learn why Doug is a Kickass Boomer!
[00:01 – 06:30] Opening Segment
- Let’s get to know Douglas Hughes
- How a mailman landed on the US Capitol on a gyrocopter
[06:31 – 16:01] Collective Action to Resolve Societal Problems
- We walked down memory lane to reminisce our post office experience
- Why collective action is better than individual, fragmented actions
- Doug talks about the problem with “big money”
- What is his proposed remedy?
[16:02 – 26:35] Talks About “Big Money” Politics
- The power of making big money politics nationalized
- Doug shares an interesting insight about term limits in the government
- The role of boomers in raising issues to the government
[26:36 – 36:29] Voter Empowerment in Current Times
- Doug tells us the reality about elections in the country
- Why there is a need to empower the voters today
- Connect with Douglas!
- Links below
[36:30 – 38:41] Closing Segment
- What Doug suggests to do next
- Final announcements
“Find the group that you feel comfortable with, join, read the emails that they send out, and do whatever you can…” – Douglas Hughes
“I’m not trying to get an advantage. I’m trying to empower all voters.” – Douglas Hughes
GRAB a copy of Doug’s book, “Flight Plan” on Amazon.
BEE BOLD, NOT OLD.
LEAVE A REVIEW and join me on my journey to become and stay a Kickass Boomer!
You can also connect with me by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.