Our Kickass Boomer of the Day is Richard Skorupski, a 21-year veteran from the US Navy and the author of “The Flyover County” book series. The series depicts life in rural America and offers an alternative perspective about living away from the city as inspired by Richard’s life-changing decision to move into a small rural town in South Dakota.
He also got involved in the marine parts business as his second career, proving that Boomers have so much life ahead of them after retirement. He drops by in our podcast to tell his story and share some of his secrets in becoming a successful author.
Join me in this episode and learn why Richard is a Kickass Boomer!
[00:01 – 03:46] Opening Segment
- I introduce and welcome Richard Skorupski
- How New Jersey drove Richard away from New Jersey
[03:47 – 13:30] Finding The House You Feel That’s For You
- Richard shares his experience in the recreational boating industry
- What he found out in a random surfing in the Internet
- Buying a neighborhood and a community
- What does Richard mean by this?
[13:31 – 28:43] Becoming a Successful Author
- Moving from the city to a rural town
- How do you know your neighbors?
- 2 things to do according to Richard
- Richard’s secrets to becoming a great author
[28:44 – 38:13] Dealing with Moments of Culture Shock
- Richard shares his approach in writing “letters to home” and not war stories
- He gives an interesting thought about our minds
- A story about “culture shock” that you should not miss
[38:14 – 48:10] Writing a Happy Ending
- Self-publishing vs. Looking for a publisher
- Writing a book for the first time?
- This is the ONLY thing you should do
- Why Richard always writes a happy ending
[48:11 – 54:57] Making Your Readers Escape Reality For a Moment
- Richard shares one of the best one-lined reviews he received
- What he enjoys about living in a rural town
- A culture that’s easy on the heart
- Living your own life and giving it the dedication it deserves
[54:58 – 57:48] Closing Segment
- How can the Boomer Nation connect with you?
- Links below
- Final announcements
“If you’re going to be an author and you want to write stories, it’s a wonderful thing to do because it allows your imagination to actually escape [reality].” – Richard Skorupski
“Nothing happens until you take these 10 fingers and you put them on the keyboard.” – Richard Skorupski
Email email@example.com to connect with Richard or follow him on Facebook and Twitter. Check out his personal website to learn more about his work.
- Buy Richard’s books on Amazon!
BEE BOLD, NOT OLD.
LEAVE A REVIEW and join me on my journey to become and stay a Kickass Boomer!
Visit http://kickassboomers.com/ to listen to the previous episodes. Also check us out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and connect with me online and on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.